What used to be home to an ugly, smelly smelter plant for Asarco has magically transformed into a lovely, walkable shopping and dining district and homes for those who prefer condominiums or apartment living with views of Commencement Bay.
Point Ruston, located on Ruston Way on the Tacoma waterfront continues to add new restaurants and stores almost monthly, it seems. It’s become one of my favorite places to walk around, eat, take the dog, see a movie or just stare at the beauty of Puget Sound.
Here are a few of my preferred haunts:
- Two Town Pub & Café for yummy pub food and drink
- Stack 571, named for the exact height of the Asarco stacks, also offers premium whiskeys
- Wild Fin for a more gourmet meal
- Farrelli’s Northwest Pizza, an award-winning pizzeria
- Dolce Si, a Sicilian bakery with coffee drinks and sweets
- Wheel Fun Rentals for tooling around the waterfront or to Pt. Defiance
- Century Theatre complex with big, comfy recliners
- Ice Cream Social just in time for the sunny summer days we hope are coming
- Silver Cloud Inn so you don’t have to leave
- Purpose Boutique where you can shop with your gal pals
- Fish Brewing Company with seating for 360, handcrafted brews, wine and food
Just when you think a place can’t get any better, Pt. Ruston recently announced their inaugural concert series beginning Saturday, June 24, 2017. Free live music for all ages, every Saturday from 5-7 p.m. until September 2. Look for these groups: Strangely Alright, Sweet Kiss Momma, Kim Archer Band and Ted Brown Showcase.
Breaking News: A new trolley, the Downtown to Defiance Trolley, goes into service on June 2, 2017. It will take passengers from downtown to the Ruston Way waterfront, Pt. Ruston and Pt. Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. Leave your car at the Tacoma Dome Station and take the Tacoma Link to downtown for no charge. Then catch the trolley and you can leave all the driving to Pierce Transit.